Monday, August 25, 2008

Kaufusi to Cowboys NRL

21 AUGUST, 2008]

 

 

NRL star Antonio Kaufusi secures long term deal with the Cowboys

 

Antonio Kaufusi 2.JPGMelbourne Storm prop Antonio Kaufusi has today penned a three-year deal with the North Queensland Cowboys, with the forward moving to Townsville for the start of the 2009 season. The move is sure to help the Cowboys move up the NRL Ladder in 2008, as this year their NRL Results have them set to take the wooden spoon.

 

Kaufusi, originally from Bundaberg, only had one year remaining on his current Storm contract and was given permission by the club to secure his future elsewhere.

 

“It was important to make sure my future beyond next year was sorted out as soon as possible, especially now that I have a young family,” said Kaufusi.

 

“When the Cowboys showed an interest, it made sense that I signed with them considering I’m from Queensland and it’s a little bit closer to home.

 

“While they’ve struggled a bit this year, the Cowboys have some great players and with a bit of luck I can enjoy as much success there as I have in Melbourne.”

 

While disappointed to be losing Kaufusi to the Cowboys, Football Operations Manager Frank Ponissi conceded there were issues beyond the Storm’s control which contributed to his departure.

 

“Due to salary cap restrictions over the next few years we weren’t able to guarantee Antonio a long term deal past 2009,” said Ponissi.

 

“Even though he had a contract here for next year, when he got the opportunity to go back to Queensland on a three year deal we couldn’t stand in his way.

 

“He’s been a great servant to the club and he’s a quality player. He’s achieved State of Origin and international honours since he’s been here.

 

“Given he missed the 2007 grand final win, hopefully we can send him out on the ultimate high this year.”

 

Since arriving in Melbourne in 2003, Kaufusi has developed into a State-of-Origin and international player having represented both Queensland and Australia.

 

After playing for the Kangaroos against Great Britain in the 2006 Tri-Nations Series, Kaufusi played in Game I of the 2007 Origin Series.

 

It was during this game that he suffered a ruptured patella tendon, an injury that kept him out for the remainder of the 2007 season and costing him a place in the grand final winning team.

 

“I’ve had the most amazing adventure since moving to Melbourne,” said Kaufusi.

 

“Since being here I’ve married my partner Bree, we had our first daughter, and I’ve also gone on to play for both my state and country. These are memories that will stay with me forever.

 

“It would have been wonderful to have played in that 2007 grand final team but it wasn’t to be unfortunately.

 

“Hopefully I can make amends for that this year before I leave.”

 

 

  ____________________________________________________

    

 Chris Couch

  Media Manager